- Suryavansh is one of the ancient & oldest dynasty in India. They claim that they are the descendents of Hindu God Surya.
- Suryavansh or Solar dynasty was also called Ikshvaku dynasty because King Ikshvaku was the first king of the this dynasty.
Ancestry of Suryavanshi :-
According to the Hindu Puranas, the genealogy of Suryavansh (or Ikshvaku) is as follows:
1.> Lord Brahma
2.> Marichi, one of the Saptarishi created by Brahma.
3.> Kashyapa, son of Marichi and his wife, Kala. Kashyapa is regarded as the father of humanity.
4.> Vivasvan or Surya, son of Kashyapa and Aditi.
5.> Shraddhadeva, because he is the son of Vivasvan (Surya) he is also known as Vaivasvata Manu.
6.> Ikshvaku , Founder of Suryavansh (or Ikshvaku) Dynasty.
Story Of The Great Deluge In Hinduism :
- Shraddhadeva Manu was the king of the Dravida Kingdom during the epoch of the Matsya Purana. According to the Matsya Purana, Matsya, the avatar of Vishnu, first appeared as a shaphari (a small carp) to Shraddhadeva while he washed his hands in a river flowing down the Malaya Mountains.
- The little fish asked the king to save him, and out of compassion, he put it in a water jar. It kept growing bigger and bigger, until the king first put it in a bigger pitcher, and then deposited it in a well. When the well also proved insufficient for the ever-growing fish, the King placed it in a tank (reservoir), that was two yojanas (16 miles) in height above the surface and on land, as much in length, and a yojana (8 miles) in breadth. As it grew further, the king had to put the fish in a river, and when even the river proved insufficient, he placed it in the ocean, after which it nearly filled the vast expanse of the great ocean.
- It was then that Vishnu, revealing himself, informed the king of an all-destructive deluge which would be coming very soon. The king built a huge boat which housed his family, saptarishi, nine types of seeds, and animals to repopulate the earth, after the deluge would end and the oceans and seas would recede. At the time of deluge, Vishnu appeared as a horned fish and Shesha appeared as a rope, with which the king fastened the boat to the horn of the fish.
- The boat was perched after the deluge on the top of the Malaya Mountains. After the deluge, Manu’s family and the seven sages repopulated the earth. According to Purana, Manu’s story occur before 28 chaturyuga in the present Manvantara which is the 7th Manvantara.
- Ikshvaku was one of the ten sons of Shraddhadeva Manu and founder of Ikshvaku Dynasty (Solar Dynasty).